It's that time of year when the ACCESS testing window opens! It's just a great Christmas present to ELL teachers every where! Ok, I'm not being serious. It's away to measure growth for ELLs, but like all standardized tests is it not made for all students. I'm having trouble with my newest new comers and taking the test. They don't try, or even pay attention.
Try as I might they lack motivation and effort to learn English. They say that they want to learn, but they never try. I have tried every which way that I know to get this children motivated! I refuse to give up though. I have even asked them what they want to learn about so I can focus my English lessons around them specifically, but they say nothing interests them. It's like pulling teeth to get them to produce any kind of work in English. As soon as I ask them a question they say... "No entiendo," without even taking time to think and process what I have said and/or given to them.
I refuse to give up even though it seems like I am close to running out of options/creativity... I get a headache thinking about this. I really wish students came with a map to their brain and directions on how they work. If anyone ever finds one can they pass it along to me???
Well, I'm off to go finish this ACCESS testing...
Chao
Leslie
No comments:
Post a Comment