16 September, 2015

Buenos Aires, the Paris of South America!

This last Saturday I traveled to Buenos, Aires! (Argentina... if you didn't know) I have always wanted to venture out there, but have never had the funds. It is an amazing city! I L-O-V-E-D it!!!! And I didn't want to leave, but I had a life in Santiago, and needed to come back. (Besides, it is the Fiestas Patrias this week, and what kind of Chilean at heart would I be if I didn't celebrate. It's only the most important celebrating of the year, if you don't count celebrating Chile winning the Copa America in July). Anyways, I'll get back to the blog. 

I traveled to Buenos Aires sola. This was actually my first time traveling internationally solo. I was really nervous, but I knew this trip would provide me a chance to work on my self-confidence (Which can be a little low sometimes). It didn’t hit me that I was traveling to another country until I landed, went through Argentinian customs, and made it to my hotel room. (I splurged a little. :) When I sat down on my bed I finally realized that I wasn’t in Chile anymore. I was in unknown territory, and it was time to explore.

Day 1
Right before I left for Buenos Aires I found out there was an old theater that was turned into a bookstore, El Ateneo. Since I love reading and bookstores are my second home, I could hardly contain my excitement to go and see this place. Plus, books are cheaper in Argentina. This meant that'd it be a great place to stock up on some Spanish novels. (or so I thought…)

My first afternoon in Buenos Aires was dedicated to going to this bookstore, A. It was a nice 25 minute walk from my apartment, and when I arrived it was AMAZINGLY beautiful. This was the second time I fell in love in Argentina. However, due to inflation, the prices of books were almost equivalent to Chilean prices…and my love slowly morphed into sadness.The place was still incredibly awesome though. Here are some pictures:






Day 2
In the morning I walked to the cemetery Recoleta. It was amazing! It is filled with elaborately designed tombs of families and people. Evita Peron is buried here as well. Some of these tombs go 2 floors underground. A lot of them had alters in them and places that family members could come to pray. It amazes me how different death is viewed here in Latin America compared to the States. Here are some pictures:






  After I walked around a while in the cemetery I went to a feria artisanal (just a local artisanal market) that was held in Plaza Francia (it is only on Sundays from 11am-7pmish, if you would like to go). Here I bought some gifts for my lovely friends/family back home.



About 1pm I walked back to my hotel. I rested for a bit and then headed out to my first official tour of the trip. “On the Trail of Pope Francis”, it was run by the Archdiocese of Buenos Aires and free. Pope Francis has really fascinated me and I wanted to go and find out more about him. It he just an amazing leader and really practices what he preaches. To start the tour, I headed to the Basilica San José de Flores. At the Basilica I saw an artist painting a painting of one of the confessionals in the church. I wondered why he was painting that part of the church, but I didn’t ask because he was so concentrated on his work. (On the tour I found out that he was painting the confessional where Pop Francis had his first calling to become a clergy of the Church. I think it is supposed to be presented to him this year.)


The tour was on a bus, and in Spanish. It was my first real test of if I could understand argentine Spanish. The tour took you all over the city to see where Pope Francis spent his time and grew up before he became Pope. The tour guide was amazing too! He was very animated and made the topic very interesting. If you have time, and are interested in the Pope’s history, you should definitely do this!   

Well that is all I have time for writing now.. I have to go plan a private lesson. I will write about Day 3 and 4 tomorrow! Chao! 

No comments:

Post a Comment